Thursday, October 13, 2016

Reflection

The journey to Chinatown gave me a very big hindsight on how the area was during the colonial times. As we walked down the South Bridge Road and encounter the different roads and lanes that are so rich with stories and history it gave me so many things to learn. How the early immigrants chose to settle down in Singapore and make this place their home.

The streets have many stories to tell since the colonial times and walking through these places with the timeline in mind, it feels like experiencing the place back in those times. On of the historic icon that stays in my mind was when we walked down the Sago lane. It was the houses for the dead. It was very hard to comprehend that these street houses were for the sick and dying early immigrants back then. It was a very heart wrenching moment when we read about that lane.

These sites that were recognized as sites of history for Singapore do serve a very important purpose for the general public. It shows how much the early immigrants suffered during those times and yet they still chose to stay and make this place their home. Our forefathers chose to make Singapore their home that is where we are today. The trail gave me so much feels on the history of chinatown as well as Singapore. I went to chinatown many times but never notice the richness of history this place had. The trail made me want to explore more historical sites in Singapore that was conserve like Kampung Glam as well as Little India. Till then, I think I did value added myself through this trail and I am sure I will be able to value add my students next time in schools through heritage trails like this. Team Chinatown Sign out!

No comments:

Post a Comment